On 16 November Percepscion took part in a gathering of international policy-makers and experts in Barcelona discussing integration of electric vehicles into the grid. The roundtable, attended by over 30 representatives, was organised by the Electric Vehicle Initiative and the International Smart Grid Action Network.
Issues discussed included:
- What is the potential impact of wide-scale EV deployment on the electric grid at the local, regional and national levels?
- How can EV infrastructure provision be optimised to decrease grid stress? What are the information requirements?
- How can grid modernization support the ambitious scale-up of EVs? What are the influencing factors?
- What constructive roles could organised EV charging play in the operation of wholesale power markets? In integrating renewable energy? In encouraging resilient microgrids?
- How can regulators create better incentives for EVs to participate in power markets?
- What consumer issues should be considered when designing technology and policy solutions at the EV-power system interface?
- What are the emerging priorities (both technical and policy) that EVI-ISGAN should be considering?
As part of the discussion, Percepscion contributed insights based on their experiences with grid-friendly charging in the Australian market, along with commentary on the relationship of these experiences to other markets elsewhere.
The outcomes from the meeting will inform the Clean Energy Ministerial, an agreement between international governments aimed at accelerating the transition to clean energy technologies.